Earlier this month we showed you how to use your Hamilton Beach® Professional blender to make homemade snow cones. While those cute and colorful snow cones are perfect for a kids’ birthday or pool party this summer, we wanted to make a boozy version that adults can enjoy just as much. These Moscow mule snow cones are the perfect summer drink. Enjoy one with dinner on the patio or host a make-your-own-mule themed girls night.
Moscow Mule Snow Cones
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons peeled, coarsely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- 6 shots vodka
- Fresh mint leaves
- Lime wedges
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, bring water to a boil. Add sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add lime juice and ginger. Simmer 1 minute. Cool.
- Using a funnel, pour flavored syrup into squeeze bottles. Refrigerate until cold.
- Place ice cubes in blender jar. Add lime zest. Cover and process on ice crush or pulse until ice is completely crushed. Transfer ice to a large bowl. Sprinkle water over ice and mix thoroughly. Use an ice cream scoop to shape ice into balls and place in cups for serving.
- Pour one shot vodka over each ice ball. Strain syrup if necessary. Drizzle ice with flavored syrup. Garnish with mint leaves and a lime wedge.
- Store remaining syrup in the freezer for next use.
To make a simple syrup, in a large saucepan over-medium, bring water to a boil. Then add sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add fresh lime juice and freshly chopped ginger to the simple syrup and simmer for 1 minute.
Let the simple syrup cool and poor into squeeze bottles (we ordered a few of these handy squeeze bottles online) and refrigerate.
Next, make your “snow.” Place ice cubes in the blender jar and add plenty of fresh lime zest. Cover and process on ICE CRUSH until the ice is completely crushed. You’ll have the perfect snow cone-making ice, dotted with bits of lime zest. Not only does the lime add a little bit of color to the cocktail, it’s super fragrant.
Transfer the lime ice to a large bowl and and sprinkle with a little bit of water. After you mix in the water, you’ll have packable snow for your cocktails.
Pour one shot of vodka over each ice ball then drizzle with the lime and ginger simple syrup.
We served our snow cones in the same copper mugs standard Moscow mules are served in. Garnish these happy-hour friendly snow cones with a little extra lime zest, lime wedges, and a sprig of mint and cheers to an endless summer.
Other refreshing summer cocktail recipes: