When the temperature rises we have to find ways to beat the heat. While you’ve probably stuck your head into the freezer a time or two (who hasn’t?), there are plenty of other ways to get the job done. Sweltering temps are a great excuse to enjoy some of summer’s best frozen treats – ice cream cones, frozen cocktails, and popsicles. Or better yet – poptails.
Poptails are popsicle cocktail combos – and trust me, you want them to be apart of your summer cool-down strategy.
To make these strawberry margarita popsicles you’ll need a few supplies – 3 oz. plastic or paper cups, craft sticks (or popsicle sticks), and plenty of limes.
Mix ingredients for strawberry margaritas – strawberries, sugar, lime juice, your favorite tequila, and triple sec) – together in a blender, and then portion the mixture out into the 3 oz cups. Cut limes into slices and push the craft or popsicle sticks through the center, leaving enough stick to hold onto when the popsicles are frozen. Top the cups with the limes and freeze.
The Test Kitchen thought to use a muffin tin to transfer the popsicles to and from the freezer. The cups fit perfectly, you can transfer more than a few at a time, and it minimizes spilling (you don’t want to waste any of those delicious margaritas, now do you?!). Brilliant.
Once the popsicles are frozen, grab a cup and enjoy (you’ll want to twist the popsicles a little bit to loosen the popsicles from the cup).
Not only do these popsicles taste exactly like strawberry margaritas, they are sure to cool you off during the dog days of summer. Put the margarita glasses and straws away and make these poptails a staple of your summer happy hour.
Strawberry Margarita Popsicles
- Lime slices
- 5 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces triple sec
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 cups whole frozen strawberries (about 12 ounces)
- Kosher Salt
- Slice limes about ¼-inch thick. Push handles of wooden or plastic spoons through center of lime slices. Set aside.
- Place tequila, triple sec, lime juice, sugar and strawberries in the blender jar in the order listed. Blend on ICE CRUSH until blended.
- Pour mixture into 2 to 3-ounce plastic cups. Place limes on top of margarita mixture in cups. Push slices slightly to eliminate air pockets under lime slices. Freeze.
- Remove popsicles from cups. Sprinkle top of lime with kosher salt.
The Hamilton Beach® Smoothie Blender is ideal for smoothies, shakes, & icy drinks.