Sweet, juicy, perfectly ripe peaches are one of summertime’s best seasonal offerings. To me, they’re synonymous with roadside fruit and vegetable stands and perfect beach days. This seasonal stone fruit is used over and over in my kitchen – thrown into salads, baked into cobblers, mixed into milkshakes, you name it.
While I enjoy incorporating this fuzzy fruit into my entrées and desserts, it’s also the perfect addition to my favorite summer cocktail – sangria.
Instead of throwing in the usual suspects – lemons, limes, apples, oranges – put a seasonal twist on sangria by adding fresh peach puree.
Put lemon juice, quartered peaches (Can’t find the perfect peaches? Frozen will work just fine), and 2 tablespoons of sugar into the blender jar and blend on high for 20-30 seconds until the mixture is smooth. Set aside 1 cup of the peach puree for the sangria and refrigerate the rest for another time.
In a large pitcher, stir together white wine (we recommend using your favorite dry white wine), orange juice, brandy (either peach or apricot would be delicious), and peach puree. Chill for at least two hours before serving.
We served this refreshing peach sangria over ice with a few peach slices and a sprig of mint. This beautiful orange cocktail is sweet and bright in color – just like the perfect summer peach. Enjoy it on a sun-kissed patio during the dog days of summer with your feet kicked back and your sunglasses on. Yep, that sounds just peachy.
Fresh Peach Sangria
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 medium peaches, peeled, pitted and cut in quarters (about 1 pound) or 1 pound frozen sliced peaches
- 2 to 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 bottles (750-ml each) dry white wine, chilled
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups peach or apricot brandy
- 2 medium peaches, pitted and each cut into 12 slices
- Place lemon juice, quartered peaches and 2 tablespoons sugar in the blender jar in the order listed. Blend on high 20 to 30 seconds or until smooth. Add additional sugar to taste. Set aside 1 cup peach puree for sangria and refrigerate remaining puree for later use.
- In a large pitcher, stir together wine, orange juice, brandy and reserved peach puree. Chill at least 2 hours or up to 48 hours.
- Serve over ice. Garnish each serving with a peach slice.
Test Kitchen Tip: Fresh berries or sliced citrus fruit may be added to the sangria.
The Hamilton Beach® 10 Speed Smoothie Blender is ideal for smoothies, shakes & icy drinks.