Everyone loves a great meal off the grill on Memorial Day, and this year you’ll be able to deliver a steak dinner at a surprisingly affordable cost. Flank steak is an inexpensive and lean cut of beef that benefits from an overnight marinade to help make it tender. Grill it to medium-rare or medium. Once rested, slice it at an angle against the grain.
There are dozens of great ways to marinate flank steak, and one of our favorites is this sweet and savory version with soy sauce, honey and ginger. Onions make a great partner to the steak, and we love the way they caramelize on the grill. Serve the steak with corn on the cob and you’ve got a great family meal for the inaugural summer holiday.
Grilled Marinated Flank Steak
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (2 pound) flank steak
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Stir honey, oil, soy sauce, ginger, red pepper flakes and garlic in a medium bowl. Place flank steak and sliced onion in a large plastic zipper bag.
- Pour marinade into bag; seal. Refrigerate several hours or overnight, turning bag over once.
- Preheat grill to MEDIUM-HIGH heat or GRILL ZONE (ORANGE).
- Drain meat and onions; discard marinade.
- Grill meat and onions covered 7 to 8 minutes on each side. Meat will be medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness. Let meat stand 5 minutes before slicing.