The holiday season is coming to an end and most of us are looking to lighten things up a bit – both physically and in the kitchen.
After months of cookies and pies, parties, and family feasts, I’m looking forward to getting out my juicer and eating (even if it’s just a little) healthier.
You have probably seen cauliflower rice on Pinterest, restaurant menus, or even pre-packaged at the grocery store. While it may seem intimidating, it’s actually extremely simple to make. With the help of the Hamilton Beach® Professional 14-Cup Dicing Food Processor, we “riced” a head of cauliflower and turned it into a delicious, refreshing side dish to help jumpstart our healthy eating in 2017.
Break or cut a head of cauliflower into florets. Transfer half of the cauliflower to a food processor fitted with a chopping/mixing blade. Pulse until it’s finely chopped or “riced.” The color, texture, and size mimics white rice – hence the name cauliflower rice. Cauliflower rice can be used in a variety of recipes, from stir fry to pizza (it makes a great low-carb crust). While working on the recipe, the Test Kitchen realized it not only mimics rice, but also couscous.
Use this light, fluffy “rice” to make a couscous-like salad to serve as a side in the New Year. After cooking the cauliflower rice on the stove top, add toasted walnuts, feta, and golden raisins. Finish the dish with a zesty lemon dressing. The result is so close to couscous you really may not be able to tell the difference.
This Mediterranean-style cauliflower rice is low-carb and packed with flavor. Take it as a healthy lunch or serve it alongside baked fish for a waistline-friendly dinner. Trust us, you’ll be too busy enjoying this refreshing salad to care whether it’s rice, couscous, or cauliflower.
Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice
- 1 large head cauliflower, leaves removed
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- reak or cut the cauliflower into florets. Transfer half of the cauliflower to a food processor fitted with the chopping/mixing blade. Pulse until the cauliflower is finely chopped and resembles couscous. Transfer to a large bowl. Repeat for the second batch of cauliflower.
- Add 3 tablespoons olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add cauliflower, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon cumin to the pan. Cook until cauliflower is tender, 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Transfer cauliflower rice to a bowl to cool. Add walnuts to skillet and return to the heat. Toast walnuts until fragrant and starting to brown, 3-5 minutes.
- Add walnuts to cauliflower rice, along with raisins, feta cheese and parsley.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the lemon juice,remaining salt and cumin, minced garlic, black pepper and remaining olive oil.
- Drizzle lemon dressing over cauliflower rice mixture and toss all ingredients to combine.
- Serve immediately or chill and serve cold.
Introducing commercial quality performance to your kitchen countertop with the Hamilton Beach® Professional 14 Cup Dicing Food Processor. Designed for the accomplished home cook, this food processor includes everything you need to quickly dice, slice, shred, knead, chop, mix and puree to your exact specifications.