Sweet potatoes are a quintessential fall ingredient. Whether they’re baked into pies, mashed as a side dish, or roasted with rosemary, sweet potatoes are always delicious.
The Test Kitchen combined sweet potatoes with roasted garlic, sage, and gruyere to make a rich slow cooked soup that embodies the flavors of fall.
This fall comfort soup is first cooked in the slow cooker then blended before serving. We used the Hamilton Beach Professional Sous Vide and 6QT Slow Cooker for this recipe but any standard slow cooker would work. Set to slow cook mode and cook the ingredients on HIGH for 4 ½ to 5 hours or LOW for 9 to 10 hours until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
Next, add the sweet potato mixture to a blender and blend on HIGH until the mixture is velvety and smooth. Return the mixture to the slow cooker crock and add gruyere. Stir in the creamy gruyere until it melts and you are ready to serve.
We wanted to add a little texture to enhance the minced sage in the soup so we fried sage leaves for garnish. Fried sage is crispy and adds a beautiful contrast of color atop this vibrant orange soup. A few fried sage leaves, a mini pile of gruyere, and cracked black pepper finish it off creating a flavor combination that is undeniably autumnal. This would make the perfect addition to any Thanksgiving table or pair with a warm baguette and a glass of red wine on a cool night.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato and Sage Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, roasted
- 11 fresh sage leaves, divided (1 leaf, minced)
- 2 containers (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Coarse salt
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere
- Shredded Gruyere for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium-high, melt the butter. Add the onions, garlic squeezed from the cloves and minced sage leaf to the skillet, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.
- Add onion mixture to slow cooker crock. Stir in chicken broth, sweet potatoes, dry mustard, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 4 1/2 to 5 hours or LOW 9 to 10 hours or until potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium-high, heat the oil. Add fresh sage leaves, stir until golden brown, about 8 to 10 seconds. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Set aside.
- In a blender jar, add half of the sweet potato mixture. Cover and blend on HIGH until creamy. Repeat with remaining sweet potato mixture. Add back to the slow cooker. Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Top each serving with a fried sage leaf and shredded Gruyere.
This multi-functional countertop appliance can be used as a sous vide water oven or slow cooker.