You’ve probably ordered chicken enchiladas at your favorite Mexican restaurant, but have you ever tried making them at home? These homemade enchiladas come together in your Hamilton Beach® slow cooker and are the perfect addition to your Cinco de Mayo spread.
Whether you’re using leftover chicken from Taco Tuesday or are starting from scratch, these enchiladas couldn’t be easier to make. Just roll them up, top them with spicy salsa, and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or LOW for 4 hours.
When they’re done cooking, melt cheese over the top and garish with a little fresh cilantro, sour cream, and spicy jalapeños. Serve these chicken enchiladas with refried beans and Spanish rice or recreate a night at your favorite Mexican restaurant with chips and salsa – and maybe a little queso – to go along with the meal. Pour yourself a homemade margarita and dig in.
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) cannellini beans, drained
- 1 can (4.5 oz.) chopped green chilies
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 package (2 cups) shredded Colby and Jack cheese, divided
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup salsa
- Heat oil in stovetop-safe slow cooker cookware over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, cook 2 minutes.
- Add chicken, beans, chiles, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir until well blended. Place in a large bowl; set aside.
- Add 1/3 cup chicken mixture and 1 Tablespoon cheese to 1 tortilla. Roll up tightly and place in cookware. Repeat with remaining chicken mixture, cheese and tortillas. (Tortillas will be tightly packed in cookware.)
- Stir tomatoes with chilies and salsa. Pour over enchiladas.
- Cover and cook for 2 hours on HIGH or 4 hours on LOW. After cooking is complete and slow cooker is on WARM, sprinkle remaining cheese over enchiladas. Cover until cheese is melted. Serve with sour cream and chopped cilantro.
Other recipes you might like:
Cannot wait to make this!