If you’re celebrating Mardi Gras, you have to put this slow cooker cajun gumbo on your Fat Tuesday menu. Not only is gumbo a staple stew of the bayou, it’s also a classic southern comfort food dish you can serve throughout the winter.This recipe is packed with meat, vegetables, and seafood and comes together with the help of you Hamilton Beach® slow cooker and rice cooker.
First, you’ll need to make a roux. The roux will act as a thickening agent and add a rich flavor (and color) to the gumbo. In a skillet over medium heat, heat oil and add flour to make the roux. Whisking constantly, cook the roux until it turns a chocolate brown color. This should take about 15 minutes.
When the roux is finished, add celery, peppers, and onions to the skillet and cook for a couple of minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes, then transfer to the slow cooker crock.
Add chicken broth, tomatoes, creole seasoning, chicken, sausage, and okra and thyme to the slow cooker crock. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 ½ to 4 hours or LOW for 6 ½ to 7 hours. At the end of the cooking cycle, stir in shrimp and cook until they are just cooked through (about 20 minutes).
While the gumbo cooks, use your Hamilton Beach® rice cooker to make white rice. You can serve the gumbo over rice or use an ice cream scoop and serve with a “dollop” of rice on top and some fresh herbs for a nice presentation.
The flavors in this gumbo will transport you to Bourbon Street for the night. The andouille sausage adds a cajun kick while the okra and fresh shrimp speak to classic New Orleans cuisine. All this stew needs is a dash of Louisiana hot sauce and a piece of crispy French bread. Cheers to Carnival.
Slow Cooker Cajun Gumbo
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pound Andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen sliced okra
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 ½ pounds raw peeled and deveined shrimp
- Cooked rice
- In a medium skillet over medium, heat oil and add flour to make a roux. Whisking constantly, cook roux until it turns a chocolate brown color. Lower heat as necessary to keep from burning. This will take about 15 minutes.
- Stir in celery, green pepper and onion. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Transfer mixture to slow cooker crock.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, Creole seasoning, chicken, sausage and okra and thyme to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 ½ to 4 hours or LOW for 6 ½ to 7 hours. Stir in shrimp. Cook just until shrimp is cooked through.
- Serve over rice.