Everyone loves takeout, and of course, delivery is even better. But the thing that trumps them all? Having dinner ready within minutes of walking through the door, of course. Strips of flank steak marinate while they cook in a delicious sauce. You simply add the ingredients to the programmable slow cooker in the morning and let it finish the cooking automatically. Once the time is up, the slow cooker automatically switches to warm.
Gradually stir water into cornstarch to create a quick thickening agent and stir this into the beef mixture while the frozen broccoli florets are steaming in the microwave. Stir all the components together and scoop it over fluffy white rice for a winning dish that beats anything from a styrofoam container.
Slow Cooker Beef with Broccoli
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups frozen broccoli florets
- Cooked rice
- Toasted sesame seeds
- In slow cooker crock, combine beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and dried red pepper flakes.
- Add beef, onion and garlic to beef broth mixture. Stir until beef is coated.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or LOW for 6 to 7 hours.
- In a small bowl, gradually stir water into cornstarch until cornstarch is dissolved. Stir into beef mixture. Continue stirring until beef mixture is thickened.
- Cook broccoli according to package directions. Stir into beef mixture just before serving.
- Serve over cooked rice. Garnish with sesame seeds.
If you’re like most people, an occasional last-minute party will pop up. Don’t worry, Hamilton Beach® Programmable Slow Cookers can easily adapt. You simply add ingredients in the morning and let the slow cooker finish the cooking automatically. Once the cooking time is up, they automatically switch to warm.