It’s pretty cold in most of the country, and that means we’re dealing with the dreaded winter blues that only a bowl of hot comfort food can cure. Our favorite go-to meal this time of year is a classic beef stew made with hearty beef, mushrooms, carrots, onions and red wine – and you can’t make this delicious dinner any easier than with the convenience of a slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 pounds beef stew cubes
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) whole peeled tomatoes, cut into pieces
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) beef broth
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 2 packets onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 8 small red potatoes
- 1 bag (16 oz.) carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 package (8 oz.) sliced mushrooms
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper; add beef. Toss to coat.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add half of the beef. Cook until browned on all sides. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Place browned beef in slow cooker crock. Stir in tomatoes, beef broth, wine, onion soup mix and basil until well blended.
- Add potatoes, carrots, onion and mushrooms.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or LOW for 12 hours until meat is tender.
If you have a slow cooker with stove-top safe cookware, substitute the cookware for the skillet in the directions above. After browning, place cookware in base. Cover and cook as directed in recipe.
Hamilton Beach® Slow Cookers take the convenience of slow-cooked dishes a giant step further. Several models of slow cookers, such as the Stay or Go® Slow Cooker, address one of your greatest concerns—getting your finished dish to a potluck or party without messy spills.