Winter has come and gone. While there are definitely days I miss cozying up with a big mug of hot chocolate and watching the snow fall, I’m excited to enjoy everything summer has to offer – trips to the beach, frozen cocktails, and some extra vitamin D courtesy of that big star in the sky.
With a change in season also comes a change in menu. During the fall and winter months I love using my slow cooker to make comfort food like hearty chilis and warming stews. But the slow cooker is just as useful in the summer, especially when you don’t want to heat the entire house with the stove.
These slow cooker Asian chicken wraps are a great spring or summer slow cooker recipe. Make the chicken in the slow cooker, then use it in wraps for a lightened-up lunch you crave during the warmer months.
In the slow cooker crock, combine chicken and a simple sauce packed with Asian flavors – soy sauce, sriracha, rice vinegar, garlic and ginger. Cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.
Remove the chicken and reserve the sauce from the slow cooker crock. Remove the bones and shred the chicken. Mix in some of the reserved sauce, using enough to moisten the chicken, then assemble your wraps.
We put some of the chicken mixture in the middle of the whole wheat tortilla then topped it with a refreshing, crunchy mixture of coleslaw, cilantro, and green onion. We finished the wraps with a sweet, homemade peanut sauce and saved some extra for dipping (of course).
These wraps would be delicious on naan or warm pita bread or even transformed into spring rolls using rice paper wrappers. Use these slow cooker asian chicken wraps as a reminder that while slow cookers do make a great chili, you can (and should) use them to prepare recipes year-round.
Slow Cooker Asian Chicken Wraps
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup Sriracha hot chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 8 pounds cut-up, bone-in chicken pieces
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 package (14 oz.) shredded coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup sliced green onion
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, Sriracha sauce, rice vinegar, garlic and ginger.
- In slow cooker crock, layer chicken and sauce.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken. Reserve sauce.
- Pull meat from bones and discard bones. Shred chicken and stir in enough reserved sauce to moisten.
- Make Peanut Sauce. In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Stir until well blended.
- Make Wraps: In a large bowl, toss shredded coleslaw with cilantro and green onion. Place chicken mixture on a tortilla. Top with Peanut Sauce and coleslaw mixture. Roll up and serve.
Test Kitchen Tip: Let chicken cool 10 to 15 minutes before shredding. After shredding, serve immediately or cover and refrigerate. Serve cold chicken topped with coleslaw mixture and Peanut Sauce in rice paper wrappers.
In addition to offering modern convenience, the Set & Forget® Programmable Slow Cooker has three choices for easy, automatic cooking: program, probe and manual mode.