While it’s easy to pick up the phone and order your favorite pizza (trust me, I have a pizzeria that’s far too close for comfort in my neighborhood), homemade is always better and pizza is no exception.
I usually go one way or the other – plain cheese or all the toppings I can manage to layer onto a single pizza. This pizza is perfect for when you’re feeling indulgent. It has everything – sausage, pepperoni, green pepper, black olives, cheese. Lots and lots of creamy mozzarella and salty parmesan. Craving pizza yet? Us too.
The Test Kitchen used the Hamilton Beach® Breadmaker to make homemade pizza dough for the crust. Roll out your dough and start layering toppings aplenty. We spread pizza sauce thinly over the dough and sprinkled with a little pizza seasoning. Then top with the good stuff – hot Italian sausage, pepperoni, onion, peppers, olives and banana peppers (a pizza must-have in my house). Cover your pie with shredded mozzarella and some grated parmesan cheese and bake.
We baked our supreme pizza on a pre-heated pizza stone (but a sheet pan or directly on the oven rack would work, too) for about 15-17 mins at 475 degrees.
When the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbling, you’re done impatiently waiting and ready to slice. The homemade crust holds up well to the generously scattered toppings and you get a little bit of everything in each and every bite. The slightly sweet pizza sauce and onions pair well with the hot banana peppers and Italian sausage. It’s a little sweet, a little spicy, and a lot of deliciousness. Next time you think about calling for takeout or delivery, save yourself the delivery fee and gas and start practicing your dough tossing skills.
- Pizza Crust for Breadmaker
- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage
- 2 ounces pepperoni, sliced
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pizza seasoning
- 4 thin slices from large onion
- 1 cup diced red and/or green bell pepper
- 1 can (2.25 ounces) sliced black olives, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced hot banana peppers
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Prepare Pizza Crust dough. While pizza dough rises, in a large skillet over medium-high, brown sausage. Drain sausage and set aside. Using a food processor, thinly slice pepperoni. Set aside.
- Heat the oven to 475°F. If using a pizza stone, place in oven to preheat.
- Dust cutting board with flour. Roll dough into a 14-inch diameter.
- Place dough in pizza pan or sprinkle a pizza peel with cornmeal and slide dough on peel.
- Spread sauce thinly over pizza dough. Sprinkle with pizza seasoning. Top with sausage. Arrange pepperoni, onion, peppers, olives and banana peppers over pizza. Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Place pizza pan in oven or slide pizza onto pizza stone.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until crust is browned and cheese is melted and starting to brown.