“How would you like your eggs?” I don’t know about you, but this question always throws me for a loop. How do you expect me to decide between soft, runny poached eggs, or fluffy, cloud-like scrambled eggs? I thought I already had a tough time deciding how to cook my eggs in the morning, then the Test Kitchen introduced me to sous vide egg bites. Thanks to the Hamilton Beach Professional Sous Vide and 6 Quart Slow Cooker there is yet another way to enjoy eggs.
Sous vide cooking is a no-fail cooking method that uses a temperature-controlled water bath to cook sealed food evenly and to desired doneness. To learn more about sous vide cooking, click here.
To make sous vide egg bites, select sous vide mode on the Hamilton Beach® Professional Sous Vide and 6 Quart Slow Cooker and set the temperature to 172 degrees for 1 hour.
Add eggs, sour cream, feta cheese, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper to a blender or food processor. Blend or process until the mixture is smooth, then add roasted red peppers and fresh basil to the mixture and pulse until combined.
We found that 4 oz clear canning jars were the perfect size for our sous vide egg bites. Spray the inside of the jars with nonstick cooking spray then divide the egg mixture evenly amongst the jars. Seal the jars tightly and add them to the preheated water bath and press start.
Once the egg bites are cooked, remove the jars from the water bath and enjoy. The jars can serve as a functional cooking vessel AND an attractive way to serve these cute, individual bites. If you would rather plate your eggs, simply slide a butter knife along the sides of the jars – the eggs will pop right out.
How would I describe these egg bites? Delicate. Silky. Rich. Any word you’d use to describe the perfectly cooked eggs. Whether you are keeping pre-cooked bites in the fridge as an grab-n-go breakfast during the week or serving them at Mother’s Day brunch, each and every bite will be egg-cellent.
Sous Vide Egg Bites with Roasted Red Peppers and Feta
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- Equipment needed: 6 (4-ounce) canning jars with lids
- Select Sous Vide mode on slow cooker and set temperature to 172°F. Set timer for 1 hour.
- To a blender or food processor add eggs, sour cream, feta, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper. Blend or process at medium speed until mixture is smooth, about 20 seconds.
- Add the roasted red peppers and basil to the egg mixture and pulse briefly to combine.
- Spray the inside of the jars with nonstick cooking spray.
- Divide egg mixture evenly among the jars. Seal the jars with the lids.
- When water reaches set temperature, add the jars to the water bath and press start.
- When cooking time has ended, remove the jars from water bath and open.
- If desired, remove egg bites from the jars by gently sliding a butter knife around the edge of the jar and inverting onto a serving dish. Egg bites may be placed under a broiler for a few minutes if a browned surface is desired.
This multi-functional countertop appliance can be used as a sous vide water oven or slow cooker. Using precisely controlled water temperatures, the sous vide method cooks foods evenly from edge to edge to the desired doneness.
Goodness these are super delish.. I’ll admit I used more than a dollop of sour cream.