Turmeric, best known for it’s use in curries, seems to be popping up everywhere, in a variety of recipes – everything from hummus to smoothies to dry rubs.
This bright yellow spice is both a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, and is commonly used to add rich spice and color to dishes.
The Test Kitchen wanted to include turmeric in a soup and decided that the spice would complement roasted cauliflower beautifully.
For Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Turmeric, drizzle cauliflower florets, one shallot and a clove of garlic with olive oil and bake for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees, until the cauliflower is fork tender. Add vegetable broth, roasted cauliflower, garlic, shallot, sugar, salt, turmeric, cumin and pepper to the Hamilton Beach Professional Blender jar. Cover and PUREE for 1 minute. Then pour half and half into the filler cap and PULSE until the soup is well blended.
We garnished this rich and creamy soup with roasted chickpeas and fresh cilantro for an added crunch and pop of color, but topping it with a little extra roasted cauliflower or even some sriracha for additional spice would be delicious.
Serve this creamy soup with a buttery baguette for dipping and say hello to one of your new fall staples.
Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Turmeric
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into flowerets
- 1 shallot, peeled
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Chopped cilantro
- Heat oven to 400°F. Foil-line a 13×9-inch baking pan and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add cauliflower florets, shallot and garlic to prepared pan. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes and stir. Bake an additional 15 minutes until fork tender.
- Add broth, cauliflower and garlic, shallot, sugar, salt, turmeric, cumin and pepper in blender jar. Cover and PUREE for 1 minute.
- Pour half and half into filler cap. PULSE until blended.
- Serve with chopped cilantro.
Built with an all-metal drive and hardened stainless steel blades, expect professional-quality performance and restaurant quality results from the Hamilton Beach Professional 1800 Watt Peak Power Blender.