Want to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day but don’t have time to cook an Irish feast of corned beef and cabbage or bangers and mash? This one-appliance meal cooks from start to finish in your rice cooker. That’s right, rice cookers can do so much more than cook white rice. Put kielbasa and sauerkraut on the table in under an hour, with minimal cleanup. That leaves you with plenty of extra time to shop for your favorite Irish stout or search for four-leaf clovers with the kids.
If you plan on celebrating St. Patrick’s Day (it conveniently falls on a Saturday this year) during the week or are just a fan of sausage, this recipe is right up your alley.
Combine sauerkraut, apples, apple juice, caraway seeds, and black pepper in the pot of the rice cooker. Place the steamer basket into the rice cooker and arrange the kielbasa in the basket. You can get 2 packages of kielbasa into the steamer basket – plenty to feed the family or save for leftovers.
Select HEAT/SIMMER and set or 45 minutes. It truly doesn’t get any easier than this.
The rice cooker perfectly steams the kielbasa and warms the tangy kraut and sweet apples. All you have to do is slice the kielbasa and serve.
This simple meal has all the flavors you crave on St. Patrick’s Day. Pour yourself a pint of stout, throw on your favorite green gear, and enjoy.
Rice Cooker Kielbasa & Kraut
- 1 jar (28.5 ounces) German-style sauerkraut
- 1 large red apple, cored and diced
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) beef kielbasa
- In cooking pot of rice cooker, combine sauerkraut, apple, apple juice, caraway seeds and black pepper.
- Arrange kielbasa in steamer basket. Place in rice cooker and close lid.
- Select HEAT/SIMMER and set for 45 minutes.
Other St. Patrick’s Day recipes you might like: