The holiday season is a great time for your Hamilton Beach® roaster oven to reach it’s maximum potential. While the roaster oven cooks a mean Thanksgiving turkey, that’s not all it can do. From baking a cheesecake to making a vat of chili, the roaster oven really can do it all.
This overnight breakfast strata is the perfect recipe for feeding an army – or in this case the relatives or out-of-town friends who are crashing at your home this holiday season.
You can prep it the night before and have ready to cook in the morning. A little planning goes a long way, especially during the holidays when things are busy, busy, busy.
The night before, remove the roaster oven baking pan from the base and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Then layer croutons, ham, cheese, spinach, and red peppers in the pan. Feel free to leave the ham out if you prefer a vegetarian strata. You can also substitute cooked bacon or sausage (or both) if your family has a breakfast meat preference.
In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, half and half, salt and pepper with a hand mixer for about 2 minutes. Then pour the egg mixture over the ingredients in the roaster oven pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
When you wake up, heat the roaster oven to 275˚while you brew the first pot of coffee. Then add the baking pan to the roaster oven base, put the lid on, and bake for an hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours until the mixture is almost cooked through.
Remove the lid and bake for an additional 30 minutes until the center of the strata is set.
This roaster oven strata is a sight to see. It’s light and fluffy, packed with colorful veggies and plenty of protein. If you need a breakfast you can make the night before and won’t have any trouble feeding the entire family, make this roaster oven breakfast strata. You might even have enough to reheat the next few mornings.
Overnight Breakfast Strata
- 2 packages (5 ounces each) seasoned croutons
- 2 packages (5 ounces each) butter and garlic croutons
- 3 cups coarse chopped cooked ham
- 1 package (8 ounces) finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 bag (12 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 jar (12 ounces) chopped roasted red pepper, drained and patted dry
- 18 large eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Remove 18 quart roaster baking pan and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Layer croutons, ham, cheese, spinach and red peppers in baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on LOW, beat eggs, milk, half and half, salt and pepper for 2 minutes or until blended. Pour over layered mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat roaster oven with lid on to 275°F.
- Remove plastic wrap.
- Cover with lid and bake for 1 ¾ to 2 hours, until mixture is almost cooked through.
- Remove lid and bake for an additional 30 minutes until center is set.
Other breakfast recipes:
4 brunch boards ideas your family will love
Looks delicious, but seriously, who has room in their refrigerator for an 18 quart roaster oven pan? Especially at holiday time.
Will this work if you cut everything by half ? What would the cook time be ??
If it is halved would the temp be the same ??
Sounds delicious. Would it be ok to.not use the half and half?
You can omit the half and half, but it necessary to substitute the same amount with fat free milk or another type of milk.
Jim, the recipe would work if cut in half, and the temperature should be kept the same. The end results will be a lot thinner. The strata should be checked at 45 minutes.
Ok thanks! One more question…my roaster is a 22qt…you mentioned yours is 18…will it be ok or should I add some more eggs and milk? Thanks
If you can’t fit the roaster pan in your refrigerator, can you assemble it in the morning and just turn it on right away? Not sure if the time it sits overnight is necessary to soften the croutons…