Slow cooker lasagna is one of those go-to dishes when you need to whip up a hearty meal. It’s filling, it’s easy, it feeds a crowd. It’s also easily customizable. Vegetarians in the family? Do an all-veggie version using slices of eggplant instead of lasagna noodles. Prefer your lasagna with a little kick? Add hot Italian sausage and crushed red pepper.
We wanted something that stood out from the standard marinara and ricotta recipes and made a Mexican version in the slow cooker. We used the Hamilton Beach Professional Sous Vide and 6 QT Slow Cooker since this multi-functional appliance is rectangular, perfect for a slow cooker lasagna recipe.
In the bottom of the crock, pour 1 cup of sauce and top with overlapping lasagna noodles. Then top the noodles with even more sauce and you guessed it, cheese. Three different kinds (the more the merrier) to be exact – colby, jack and crumbled queso. Add refried beans on top of the cheese and repeat the layers two more times, stacking your lasagna high. Add any remaining sauce and cheese to the top of your lasagna before cooking.
Set to SLOW COOK mode and cook on HIGH for 1 to 2 hours or on LOW for 2 to 3 ½ hours until the noodles are fork-tender and the cheese is melted and gooey.
While this lasagna would be delicious served plain with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro, you could pile it high with the works – sour cream, jalapeños , black olives, tomatoes. Even add a little bit of your favorite hot sauce on top if you prefer a little spice. Feed a crowd of hungry kids or have it for dinner and save the leftovers to enjoy throughout the week.
Slow Cooker South of the Border Lasagna
- 1/2 pound ground hot sausage
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno, minced
- 2 cups mild salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 envelope (1.5 ounces) taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse pepper
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles, divided
- 4 cups shredded colby and Monteray Jack cheese, divided
- 1 package (15 ounces) queso fresca, crumbled, divided
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- Toppings: Chopped tomato, chopped cilantro and sour cream
- In a large skillet over medium-high, cook sausage and beef, stirring constantly until browned and no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- Add onion, garlic and jalapeno to skillet. Cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Return meat mixture to skillet and add salsa, tomato sauces, chilies, taco seasoning, cilantro, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Place 1 cup of sauce to bottom of slow cooker crock overlap 3 noodles across sauce. Spread 1 1/2 cups of the sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with 1 cup shredded colby & jack cheese and 1/4 of the crumbled queso cheese. Top with dollops of about 1/2 cup of beans. Repeat layers 2 more times. Top with remaining noodles, sauce, cheeses.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 1 to 2 hours or LOW for 2 to 3 1/2 hours or until noodles are fork-tender and cheese is melted. Remove lid and let stand 5 minutes.
- Serve with toppings.
With the Hamilton Beach Professional Sous Vide and 6 QT Slow Cooker, meals can be prepped in the morning and can cook using either sous vide or slow cooking methods while you are away.