In early summer, everyone’s gardens and market bags are overflowing with fresh cucumbers. It seems this time of year is known for finding ways to use them up or creatively give them away. So what can you make with extra cucumbers before they go bad? One of our favorite ways to get through the excess is these quick and easy refrigerator pickles.
Just a few turns of the food processor blades make quick work of an otherwise lengthy slicing task, so the cucumbers can start pickling right away.
This recipe is for bread and butter pickles with a bit of spice from red pepper flakes, but you can easily use the same method to prepare dill pickles, spicy habañero pickles or salt and pepper pickles. If you like the way they turn out, remember this recipe come July, because it works with zucchini and squash as well.
Spicy Refrigerator Bread and Butter Pickles
- 6 medium cucumbers
- 2 1/4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Using slicing blade, with food processor running, add one cucumber to food chute. Process until completely sliced. Repeat process with remaining cucumbers.
- Divide sliced cucumbers between 8 (8 ounce) jelly jars.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring vinegar, sugar, brown sugar, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, dried red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to a rolling boil.
- Stir and pour vinegar mixture evenly between jars. Let stand 1 hour or until room temperature. Cover with lids.
- Refrigerate up to 3 months.
Whether you are cooking for two or prepping a large family meal, the Hamilton Beach® Stack & Snap™ 12 Cup Food Processor takes the guesswork out of food processing with a simple function guide that shows you which blade to use and which button to press. Designed to be uniquely simple – there’s no twisting, turning or locking required when assembling the food processor.