The seasonal flavor of eggnog unites with creamy chocolate to make a jolly ole dessert for the holidays.
Baking and assembling a layer cake can be intimidating – it seems so flawless in pictures. But this made-from-scratch cake comes together easily with the help of a stand mixer. Trust us, the end result is well worth the time it takes to prepare.
Once the batter is made, the cake bakes on a 17x15x1-inch baking pan, filling your home with the sweet and spicy scents of chocolate and nutmeg.
After the cake bakes and cools, it’s cut widthwise into three equal pieces. Beginning with the bottom base, spread half the filling onto the layer. Then, top with the second layer and repeat.
Next comes the frosting. Spiced with vanilla, rum and nutmeg, our basic buttercream frosting is brought up a notch and transformed into a memorable holiday treat.
Elegant, festive and flavorful, this dessert puts a twist on traditional and adds a little joy to any seasonal gathering.
Chocolate Eggnog Torte
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons spiced rum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Chocolate curls, optional
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a 17x11x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Spray parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a microwave- safe dish, microwave on MEDIUM power chocolate chips and butter for 1 minute or until chocolate is shiny. Stir until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
- In a large mixing bowl, add chocolate mixture and 3/4 cup sugar. Beat on HIGH for 1 minute.
- Add egg yolks and beat for 1 minute after each addition.
- Alternating adding milk and flour mixture, beating on LOW until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes on wire cooling racks. Invert cake onto cooling rack. Peel off parchment paper and cool cake completly.
- In large mixing bowl, beat cream in mixing bowl starting with LOW speed and increasing to HIGH speed for 1 minute.
- Add sugar and vanilla. Continue to blend until soft peaks form. Watch closely. It can be easily overbeaten.
- In a large mixing bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH speed, beat butter, rum and vanilla until blended.
- Gradually add confectioners’ sugar and nutmeg on LOW speed, beating until creamy.
- Cut cake widthwise into 3 equal pieces to make a 3-layer cake.
- Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate, spread with 1/2 of the Filling. Top with a second cake layer and spread with remaining Filling.
- Top with remaining cake layer. Spread top and sides with Frosting. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with chocolate curls.