You can stop looking for the best chili recipe now. You just found it. Well, you found the base of it, anyway. What really makes this slow cooker chili the best is the addition of whatever customizations you add to it, whether it be a little extra spice with a your favorite chopped hot pepper, or even a splash of a stout beer or red wine for a little extra depth. We’re not going to tell you how to customize it – that’s up to you. But we will share our Test Kitchen’s most trusted, tried-and-true, Hamilton-Beach-employee-favorite chili con carne recipe. We’ll get you started with the basics, and then you can drive this chili bus home.
When you test as many slow cookers as we do, you need a recipe that’s easily made but still puts the performance of the appliance through the ringer. Chili does just that, from ensuring a consistent temperature throughout to the level of doneness of the vegetables and beans. Mushy, overdone peppers and onions will certainly stamp your ticket to chili cook-off loserville.
This recipe includes hot Italian sausage as well as ground beef. Hey, this is chili con carne, right? The more carne, the better. The sausage adds a little smack of spice and flavor to an otherwise basic chili.
Needless to say, there’s a lot of chili making going on behind the scenes here at Hamilton Beach. This particular recipe has proven to be our favorite. Try it yourself and let us know how it stacks up to your cookoff-winning recipe.
Slow Cooker Chili Con Carne
- 2 pounds hot Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green pepper, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 packages (about 2 ounces each) chili seasoning
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, drained
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sliced jalapenos, sour cream, if desired
- Crumble sausage and ground beef into a large skillet. Over medium-high heat, brown sausage and ground beef. Drain fat.
- Add garlic, green pepper, onion and jalapeno to meat mixture and cook until onion is softened. Transfer meat and onion mixture to slow cooker crock.
- Add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, sliced jalapenos and sour cream, if desired.
For the cook who is busy all day but wants a home-cooked dinner at night, a slow cooker is the answer. And with the Set & Forget® Programmable Slow Cooker, technology takes a big leap forward from the outdated slow cookers found in yesterday’s kitchens.
Other slow cooker chili recipes to try:
Os nichos são correspondentes aos temas ou assuntos.
Best chilly ever .for this this is supper done right
I know this is a long shot, but here goes. I have lost the manual from my old HB Crock Watcher in a move! The CW is no longer with me, but I saved the manual because of the chili recipe that was in it. It was our family fave for years. I’m online searching and thought, when I read the intro, that this would be it, but it’s not. It didn’t have sausage and no packets of seasoning. It did call for 2 lbs of ground beef and the spices included chili powder, cumin and cayenne which was unusual at the time. Could you, perhaps, help me out? I’m hoping you might have access to this? The manual itself was a small, rectangular booklet with landscape orientation and a blue and white cover. I know the odds are against me, but I’m hopeful. Thanks in advance.