Chili and cornbread is a winning combination. The semi-sweet cornbread is simple, dunkable, and pairs perfectly with a hearty, spicy chili. You would usually cook chili and bake cornbread separately, but there’s no need to dirty more dishes than you have to. Using your slow cooker, you can cook both the chili and the cornbread at the same time. Meal prep win!
Slow cooker cheesy chili & cornbread casserole is a layered recipe that combines chili, cornbread, and cheese (lots and lots of cheese) into one all-inclusive dish.
First, dump the ingredients for your chili into the slow cooker crock. All the usual suspects are here – browned ground beef, kidney beans, tomatoes, chili seasoning mix, and tomato paste.,Then spread the mixture into an even layer on the bottom of the crock. Next, prepare your cornbread batter and spoon it over the soon-to-be-chili.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 to 3 ½ hours or LOW for 5 to 5 ½ hours. When the casserole is finished cooking, reduce the slow cooker heat to WARM and sprinkle sharp cheddar cheese (be generous) on top and let it melt completely before serving.
When the cheese is melted, dig in and serve yourself a heaping portion of this all in one meal. While the layers of chili, cornbread, and cheese might be just what you need, feel free to dress it up with your favorite chili toppings. Sour cream, jalapenos, your favorite hot sauce, chives, and more cheese are all welcome. Whether you are serving this hearty casserole a chilly evening, for the big game, or as an easy family meal, we can assure you that no one will leave the table hungry.
Slow Cooker Cheesy Chili & Cornbread Casserole
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with onions and green pepper
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) chunky diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 packages (1.5 ounces each) chili seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 package (8.5 ounces each) corn muffin mix
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sour cream, optional
- Jalapeno slices,optional
- Green onion slices, optional
- In a large skillet over medium high, brown ground beef. Drain and transfer to the slow cooker crock.
- Add kidney beans, tomatoes, chili seasoning mix and tomato paste to crock and mix until blended. Spread chili mixture in an even layer in crock.
- In a medium bowl, prepare corn muffin mix following package directions. Spoon batter over chili in crock.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or LOW for 5 to 5 1/2 hours. Reduce to WARM. Sprinkle with cheese and let stand until melted, about 15 minutes. Top with sour cream, jalapeno slices and green onions, if desired.
In addition to offering modern convenience, the Set & Forget® Programmable Slow Cooker has three choices for easy, automatic cooking: program, probe and manual mode.
Thank you for answering my question about using corn bread mix in a slow cooker with a tamale pie recipe. Your “Slow Cooker Cheesy Chili & Cornbread Casserole” instructions answered every question I had. Furthermore, no other web site came close.
giving as a gift, i am going to cook this a day ahead and then she can reheat the slow cooker, any idea for reheating in a crock pot (how long) and i guess I will just pack the cornbread mix or make it the day b4
If I want to use the oven instead of the slow cooker? How hot should I let it cook and what degree?