What would dad like more than to spend a little quiet time time by the grill with an ice-cold beer in hand on Father’s Day? Let dad handle the flank steak (refilling his beer as needed, of course) while everyone else helps set the table and makes a flavorful arugula pesto to serve with the meat.
Arugula pesto is a take on classic basil pesto. Combine arugula, macadamia nuts, olive oil, grated parmesan cheese, garlic and salt in the food chopper. The bright green pesto adds color and is a fresh, zesty complement to the grilled flank steak. Serve pesto-topped flank steak alongside a bright salad and dad’s drink of choice for the perfect Father’s Day meal.
Grilled Marinated Flank Steak
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (2 pound) flank steak
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Stir honey, oil, soy sauce, ginger, red pepper flakes and garlic in a medium bowl. Place flank steak and sliced onion in a large plastic zipper bag.
- Pour marinade into bag; seal. Refrigerate several hours or overnight, turning bag over once.
- Preheat grill to MEDIUM-HIGH heat or GRILL ZONE (ORANGE).
- Drain meat and onions; discard marinade.
- Grill meat and onions covered 7 to 8 minutes on each side. Meat will be medium-rare (125°F to 130°F) to medium (131°F to 140°F) doneness. Let meat stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- 1 cup fresh arugula leaves
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In food chopper bowl, add arugula, macadamia nuts, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, garlic and salt.
- Cover and blend until almost pureed.