Chicken pot pie is one of those comfort foods that reminds us of family dinners in an era where sitting around the table together was a regular occurrence. Even though our days are now more action-packed, it’s important to make time for these same heart-warming dinners with our families today. This recipe for chicken pot pie will help create lasting memories of home-cooked comfort for years to come.
Chicken Pot Pie
- Food Processor Pie Crust
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 package (16 oz.) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- Prepare half of Food Processor Pie Crust recipe for one crust. Cover pie crust dough with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes. Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in large skillet or dutch oven over medium-high heat until melted. Add celery, onion and garlic and cook until tender.
- Add flour, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper. Stir until smooth.
- Blend in milk and chicken stock. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil and boil until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and vegetables. Pour into greased casserole.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Lightly flour counter and roll pie crust dough large enough to cover top of casserole dish. Place pie crust on top of chicken mixture. Crimp edges of pie crust. With a sharp knife, cut vent slits in top of crust.
- In small bowl, mix egg with water. Brush over crust.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
For a quick version, use a purchased rotisserie chicken and refrigerated pie crust. One 2-pound rotisserie chicken yields about 4 cups chopped cooked chicken.
Whether you are cooking for two or prepping a large family meal, the Hamilton Beach® Stack & Snap™ 10 Cup Food Processor takes the guesswork out of food processing with a simple function guide that shows you which blade to use and which button to press. Designed to be uniquely simple – there’s no twisting, turning or locking required when assembling the food processor.