I could eat Mexican food all day, everyday – anytime, anyplace. While tacos and enchiladas are simple staples to incorporate into your weekly dinner menu, why not try turning your favorite Mexican entrée up a notch? We used a deep fryer to fry these loaded chimichangas at home, adding the same texture and crunch that you’d find if you ordered the dish at your favorite Mexican restaurant.
Making these chimichangas is a step-by-step process, so get the whole family involved. First, sauté green peppers, onions and garlic. Combine half of the cooked mixture with shredded chicken and green chiles in a bowl. Cut down on your cooking time by using a store-bought rotisserie chicken and shredding it by hand or cooking a few chicken breasts a day or two ahead of time and saving them in the refrigerator.
Mix refried beans with salsa and spread on the bottom half of a tortilla. Spoon the chicken mixture above the refried beans, and top with cheese (swap out cheddar with Monterey Jack for an added kick). Then fold in the sides of tortillas to enclose the filling. Fold over the top and bottom edges of tortillas, making rectangles and secure the tortillas with toothpicks. Deep fry the filled tortillas for about five minutes, or until golden brown.
Top with homemade spicy ranchero sauce, made by combining fire-roasted tomatoes, the previously sautéed onion mixture, cilantro, chili powder, and cumin in food processor and blending until smooth. A dolop of sour cream, shredded cheese and cilantro finish the dish. Put chips and salsa on the table and dig into these crispy delights.
Chicken Chimichangas with Ranchero Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 can (2 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) refried beans
- 1/2 cup medium salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 can (15 ounces) fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat butter. Add the onions, green pepper and garlic. Saute’ until onions are translucent and green pepper is tender, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, half of onion mixture, green chilies, 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder and 1 teaspoon cumin. In a small bowl, combine refried beans and 1/2 cup salsa.
- Spread 1/4 cup refried bean mixture on bottom half of each tortilla. Spoon 1/3 cup chicken mixture below center of each tortilla; top with 2 tablespoons cheese. Fold in 2 sides of tortillas to enclose filling. Fold over top and bottom edges of tortillas, making rectangles. Secure with wooden picks.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 350°F. Fry chimichangas 1 to 2 at a time, turning once, until golden brown about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- To make the Ranchero Sauce, place tomatoes, remaining onion mixture and cilantro, remaining chili powder and cumin in food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Serve chimichangas with sauce, sour cream, additional cheese and cilantro.
Make crispy food perfect for a crowd with the The 12 Cup Oil Capacity Deep Fryer.