Christina of Mama’s High Strung is a mom of five children who left her career as a broadcast journalist to go to culinary school and pursue a life with food. From her home in Chicago, she offers readers kitchen tips and well-balanced recipes with tons of Latin flavor. She can be found on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Hola! I’m Christina and my blog is Mama’s High Strung, which pretty much tells you what my life is like with five kids. Summer is here, so we’ve forgotten all about the polar vortex (Okay, I won’t even mention it!) and we’re ready to start living la vida alfresco.
I come from a big Latino family, so our summertime fiestas are filled with music, laughter and lots of food. While the grill is working overtime outside, I use Hamilton Beach’s Searing Grill inside to whip up amazing appetizers and side dishes loaded with outdoor flavor.
These bacon-wrapped and cheese-stuffed jalapeño poppers will spice up any party with layers of delicious flavor. It’s important to scrape out the veins and seeds inside the jalapeño, because those little devils are what make jalapeños mouth-burning hot. (I usually wear gloves when I’m working with chile peppers – you should, too.)
Stuff the jalapeños with shredded Mexican-blend cheese. Alternatively, you can use cream cheese, Chihuahua cheese or string cheese. Make sure you really pack the cheese in the jalapeño so you keep all that delicious cheesiness inside.
Carefully wrap each stuffed pepper with one strip of bacon and secure it with a toothpick. Cook the jalapeños on the Searing Grill for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp and cooked through. Don’t forget to remove the toothpicks before serving.
I absolutely love cooking on the Hamilton Beach Searing Grill, but I have to tell let you in a secret. After a big party, you’ll really love being able to put the grill plate, lid and drip tray in the dishwasher!
Searing Grill Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers
- 5 jalapeños
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 10 slices bacon
- 10 toothpicks
- Heat Searing Grill on 450°F.
- Slice jalapeños in half lengthwise. With a spoon, scrape out the veins and seeds.
- Fill each jalapeño half with cheese. Pack cheese tightly into jalapeño.
- Place one bacon slice horizontally on cutting board. Place jalapeño near one end of bacon slice. Fold over shorter piece, then fold over longer piece. Continue until jalapeño is wrapped. Secure bacon with toothpick.
- Place jalapeños on Searing Grill; close lid. Cook for 10 minutes, turn and cook 8 to 10 minutes longer or until bacon is cooked through. Remove from Searing Grill. Remove toothpick and serve immediately.
The high temperature of the Searing Grill makes it possible to get outdoor flavor indoors. Plus, the hood, grill plate and tray are removable and dishwasher-safe, making cleanup a breeze.