My mom and I always look forward to mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving. Did you know they can be made easily in your slow cooker while you’re taking care of the green bean casserole and basting the turkey?
Sweet potatoes with cranberries are a welcome update to the marshmallow-topped casseroles of yesteryear. These can also be made in the slow cooker, and it couldn’t be easier. This might just become your signature dish for years to come.
Easy Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (13.75 oz.) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add potatoes and chicken broth to slow cooker cookware.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Add sour cream, cream cheese, onion salt and pepper to crock.
- Mash potato mixture; stir until creamy and well blended.
- Reduce Slow Cooker temperature to WARM to keep potatoes warm for up to 1 hour.
Cranberry Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 5 pounds sweet potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker crock. Stir to coat sweet potatoes with butter mixture.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 3 to 4 hours or until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Mash sweet potato mixture. Set slow cooker on WARM to serve.
Test Kitchen Tip: Replace potatoes with canned sweet potatoes (drained). Reduce cooking temperature to Low
Going to be making these potatoes in the crock pot for holidays. T