Skip the boxed chocolates and bake something for that special someone this Valentine’s Day.Sweets are the name of the Valentine’s Day game. Whether you are baking red velvet poke cake, making decadent waffles, or dipping strawberries in your favorite melted chocolate, there is plenty of sugar to be enjoyed on Cupid’s day.
These delicate Valentine’s Day sugar cookies are the perfect treat to show someone you care. We cut homemade cookie dough into hearts using a 3-inch cookie cutter, then used a smaller cookie cutter to cut out of the center of the cookie into, you guessed it, another heart. We filled the heart-shaped hole with colored sugar (we chose red and pink for the occasion) and baked them for 6-8 minutes at 400 degrees.
These buttery cookies will surely melt in your mouth. Spend Valentine’s Day in the kitchen with the entire family, letting everyone take turns decorating with pink, red, and heart-shaped sprinkles, or bag them up and tie closed with a festive ribbon for a thoughtful homemade gift for coworkers, family members, or your one and only.
Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkles or colored sugar, optional
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- With a stand mixer on HIGH, beat butter and sugar for 1 minute or until creamy. Reduce speed and beat in egg and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Gradually add dry ingredients until combined.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with a 3-inch cookie cutter. Transfer to the parchment paper. Decorate with sprinkles or colored sugar, if desired.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned on edges.
- Place the cookie sheet on a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes. Remove from parchment paper and cool completely on wire rack.
Paint the town red (or just your countertop) with this high-performance mixer. The Eclectrics® Stand Mixer makes mixing easy, so you have more time for your favorite part — showing off and sharing all your homemade treats.