Chilly weather equals chili weather in my house. There is nothing better than warming up with a big bowl of chili, topped with everything but the kitchen sink.
This fall, we want the blog to be your one-to-shop for all your chili recipe needs. A fan of Cincinnati’s Skyline restaurant? Our slow cooker Cincinnati chili comes pretty darn close to the real thing. Want a basic beef chili that you can put on the table for dinner, gamedays, and everything in between? Our slow cooker chili con carne recipe is right up your alley. Prefer chicken in your chili? Our slow cooker white chicken & corn chili is a healthier, lighter take on a cold-weather classic.
Now we have a chili recipe for the turkey lovers out there (gobble, gobble). This slow cooker white turkey chili leaves the beef, tomato based chilis behind and incorporates lean, ground turkey and 5 (that’s right 5) cans of beans. Combined with corn, broth, and an array of spices in the slow cooker, this chili is as hearty as the beef chilis you usually make.
We topped our white turkey chili with jalapenos for a little spice and tortilla strips for crunch. We couldn’t resist adding avocado, sour cream, and cheese either. If there’s not cheese on top you’re doing it wrong. All you need is a big piece of homemade cornbread for dunking. It’s time to plug in the slow cooker and embrace chili weather.
Slow Cooker White Turkey Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small jalapeno peppers, seeds removed, minced
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 3 cans (14.5 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 can (15 ounces) northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (24 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup half and half
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- Sour Cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped cilantro
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat oil. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno peppers. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Transfer to crock.
- Add ground turkey to skillet, stirring until turkey is completely cooked, about 6 minutes. Add turkey, broth, beans, corn, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 to 4 1/2 hours or LOW for 7 to 7 1/2 hours.
- During last 30 minutes, in a medium bowl, stir half and half and cornstarch until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Pour half and half mixture into chicken mixture, stirring until mixture thickens.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese and chopped fresh cilantro.