Healthy and hearty slow cooker soups keep us feeling satisfied and sunny, no matter what news the weatherman delivers – and this lentil soup fits the bill perfectly.
It’s a little bit spicy, quite a bit healthy and a whole lot hearty. It’s incredibly filling and flavorful for a vegetable and lentil soup, so vegetarians and meat eaters alike will love this slow cooker masterpiece. Top it with a little dollop of Greek yogurt, lemon and cilantro, and you’ll forget all about the chill in the air. This slow cooker lentil soup is as nutritious as it is delicious, so you’ll have plenty of spring in your step.
TEST KITCHEN TIP: If you have a slow cooker with stove-top safe cookware, substitute the cookware for the skillet in the directions above. After browning or sautéing, place cookware in base, cover and cook as directed in recipe.
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Lentil Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 16 ounces dried lentils, rinsed and drained
- 9 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Add carrots and celery; cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add vegetables and remaining ingredients to slow cooker crock.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or LOW for 7 to 8 hours.
If you’re like most people, an occasional last-minute party will pop up or you’re too busy to make a big dinner every night. Don’t worry, the Hamilton Beach® Programmable Stay or Go® 6 Quart Slow Cooker can easily adapt. You simply add ingredients in the morning and let the slow cooker finish the cooking automatically. Once the cooking time is up, it automatically switches to warm.