May is coming to an end which means Memorial Day is right around the corner. Maybe you’re planning a red, white and blue backyard barbecue or attending a potluck in the neighborhood. Whether you’re cooking at home or taking something on the road, these Slow Cooker Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Sliders are sure to be a hit.
In the slow cooker crock, stir together pineapple chunks, brown sugar, teriyaki sauce, ginger and brown sugar. Add chicken once the ingredients are mixed. We used chicken thighs but you can use chicken breasts if you prefer white meat. Cook on HIGH for 2 ½ to 3 hours or on LOW for 5 to 6 hours.
Shred the chicken once it’s cooked. Add a mixture of cornstarch and water to thicken the sauce and you’re ready to serve.
We liked the idea of serving Slow Cooker Hawaiian BBQ Chicken as sliders. We spooned the mixture onto potato rolls for an easy, hand-held option – after all, there can never be too many sliders at a cookout. The slight sweetness of the potato rolls compliments the pineapple and the brown sugar in this recipe. Serve plain or add red cabbage, grilled pineapple slices, barbecue sauce or hot sauce to spice up your sliders. You could even serve this over rice for an easy weeknight dinner.
Slow Cooker Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Sliders
- 1 can (15 1/4 ounces) pineapple tidbits in juice, undrained
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Slider potato rolls
- In a slow cooker crock, stir together pineapple with juice, brown sugar, teriyaki sauce, garlic and ginger.
- Add chicken and stir to coat.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or LOW for 5 to 6 hours. Using two forks, shred chicken.
- In a small bowl, stir together water and cornstarch until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Transfer liquid from crock to a medium skillet. Stir in cornstarch mixture.
- Place skillet over medium-high heat. Cook about 3 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture is slightly thickened.
- Pour mixture over chicken and stir.
- Serve on slider rolls.
Easily mix and match any temperature with your choice of cooking times with the Programmable 6 Quart Slow Cooker.