Whether your family is in the green bean or the broccoli camp when it comes to Thanksgiving casseroles, the odds are at least one (or maybe even both) is on your table. Your first thought is to reach straight for the casserole dish but isn’t your oven slightly overcrowded on Thanksgiving Day? I’d bet it is. Leave that casserole dish free for another side dish and plug in the slow cooker.
We combined the usual suspects for this slow cooker green bean casserole but a few unexpected add-ins put it in a league of it’s own.
We have to give Laurie in the Consumer Test Kitchen all of the credit for deciding to put bacon (yes, nine strips of cooked bacon) into this casserole. While the taste is still familiar, the bacon is a salty addition that turns a traditional Thanksgiving side dish into something special.
I think we can all agree the best part of green bean casserole is the french fried onions (be honest). Of course we graced the top of the casserole with these salty, crunchy add-ons but we also stirred plenty into the casserole itself. That way you get the onion flavor and crispy, crunchy texture inside and on top. As far as we’re concerned, the more french fried onions the better.
Now that I’ve been sidetracked by bacon (it happens a lot), it’s time to focus our attention on the green beans. They are the star of this show, after all. Not only do the green beans keep their beautifully bright color, they stay crisp and firm while cooking in this slow cooker casserole. We were pleasantly surprised at how well they held up.
This slow cooker green bean casserole with bacon will change the way you plan for Thanksgiving feast and hopefully free up a little space in your oven turned jigsaw puzzle on holidays.
Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole
- 2 cans (10 1/2 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 package (1 ounce) onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 9 slices cooked bacon, coarsely chopped
- 3 packages (12 ounces each) frozen cut green beans
- 2 containers (6 ounces each) French fried onions, divided
- In a slow cooker crock, combine condensed soup, onion soup mix and black pepper. Stir in bacon, green beans and 4 cups fried onions.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or LOW for 6 to 7 hours. Sprinkle with remaining fried onions before serving. Garnish with extra cooked chopped bacon, if desired.
Crisp French fried onions in a microwave on HIGH for 35 to 40 seconds before topping casserole.
The Hamilton Beach® Programmable Stay or Go® 6 Quart Slow Cooker has a clip-tight, sealed lid for spill-resistant travel.