Is there anything better than crowding around the table with your loved ones? Plan your next family dinner around this stick-to-your-bones meal.
We cooked bottom round beef roast in the Programmable Stovetop Slow Cooker. The crock can be used right on the stovetop for easy searing and sautéing. For this roast, we seared the roast on the stovetop before putting it back in the slow cooker with the other ingredients to continue cooking. If you have a traditional ceramic-crock slow cooker, don’t worry. Just sear the bottom round in a skillet or pan before transferring it to the slow cooker.
Once the meat is seared add water, ginger snaps (did you even think you’d ever be throwing ginger snaps into your slow cooker?), 2 cups of red wine, bay leaves, and dry onion soup packets. Place the stove-top safe crock back in the slow cooker base and cook until the meat is tender. The ginger snaps dissolve as the meat cooks and add a little sweet and spice to the dish.
When the meat is finished, remove it from the slow cooker and let it rest for 10 minutes. Then slice and serve over egg noodles.
To make the gravy, add the cornstarch and water mixture to the crock and return it to the stovetop to reduce and thicken. The rich gravy covers and complements both the meat and the egg noodles. Serve steaming hot rolls alongside this perfect winter meal to sop up the remaining gravy. If you’re lucky, you might even have leftovers to make open-faced pot roast sandwiches during the week.
Slow Cooker Easy Pot Roast
- 3 to 4-pound bottom round beef roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 box (2 packages) dry onion soup mix
- 3 1/4 cups water, divided
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 18 gingersnap (about 2-inches each)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Cooked egg noodles
- Fresh thyme or rosemary
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in stovetop-safe slow cooker cookware over medium-high heat. Brown roast on both sides.
- Sprinkle dry soup mixes over beef. Add water, wine, bay leaves and gingersnaps.
- Cover and place cookware on slow cooker base. Cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or LOW for 6 to 8 hours until beef is tender and can still be sliced.
- Remove roast to cutting board. Cover with foil and let stand 10 minutes.
- Disgard bay leaves.
- In a small bowl, stir cornstarch and remaining water until cornstarch is dissovled. Pour into crock. Return cookware to stovetop over medium-high heat, cook stirring contantly until mixture boils. Boil 1 minute, stirring until mixture thickens.
- Slice beef and serve over noddles with gravy. Garnish with a sprig of fresh herbs.
If you have a slow cooker with stove-top safe cookware, substitute the cookware for the skillet in the directions above. After browning beef, place cookware in base, follow recipe as directed above.
Not only is the Stovetop-Safe Programmable Slow Cooker built for easy browning and searing on the stovetop, it’s great for more than just meat and main courses. Use it to cook stews, soups, savory side dishes and moist, luscious cakes.