Even if you aren’t familiar with Indian food, you’re sure to love Chicken Tikka Masala, and making it in the slow cooker couldn’t be any easier. This often spicy dish has chunks of chicken in a creamy orange sauce. It’s somewhat similar to butter chicken and is popular all over the world, especially in the UK. This cross-cultural main course is usually served with basmati rice and naan, a popular Indian flatbread. First, the chicken is marinated in yogurt and spices before being braised with a masala sauce, a spicy tomato-based sauce, until it’s fall-apart tender. The overnight marinade and unique ingredients might take some time, but chances are you have most of the ingredients in the pantry already. You may want to have extra naan around for dipping and scooping up any extra sauce left on the plate.
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Sliced cucumbers
- Chopped cilantro
- Cooked rice
- Combine yogurt, turmeric, coriander, cumin, garam masala, cloves, ginger, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large plastic zipper bag.
- Add chicken to bag. Seal and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oil in stovetop-safe slow cooker cookware over medium-high heat. Add onion and red pepper, cook until just beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste and remaining 1 teaspoon salt until blended. Place in slow cooker.
- Drain chicken and add to slow cooker. Stir to coat chicken.
- Cover and cook for 3 hours on HIGH or 6 hours on LOW. Stir in heavy cream before serving.
- Serve over cooked rice with cucumbers and cilantro.
To make prep work easiest, use a stovetop safe slow cooker for this recipe.
If using a slow cooker with a ceramic crock, cook vegetables in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer ingredients to slow cooker crock and cook as directed.
More slow cooker and rice cooker recipes to try:
Kenyan Chicken Curry and Pilau Rice
Rice Cooker “Fried” Rice