Even if you don’t live in Maine or New Hampshire, you can still enjoy a big bowl of hearty chowder to keep you warm this weekend. This chicken and corn chowder recipe comes together in the slow cooker as a quick and easy option when you’re craving soup or stew but don’t want to do much legwork. Instead, enjoy your free time while your house fills with aromas of warm bacon and hearty vegetables. Then, gather the family around the table and enjoy this traditional New England chowder with crusty bread for dipping.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Corn Chowder
- 10 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 4 small red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 bag (16 oz.) frozen corn kernels
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain and chop bacon. Set aside.
- Drain bacon grease, leaving 2 tablespoons. Add carrots and celery, cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add onion, leeks and garlic to carrots and celery, cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth, potatoes, corn, chicken, thyme, salt, pepper and half of the bacon. Stir until well blended. Place in slow cooker cookware.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 to 4 1/2 hours or LOW for 7 to 7 1/2 hours.
- During last 30 minutes, stir half and half and cornstarch until dissolved.
- Pour half and half mixture into chicken mixture, stirring until mixture thickens.
If you have a slow cooker with stovetop-safe cookware, substitute the cookware for the skillet in the directions above. After browning or sautéing, place cookware in base, cover and cook as directed in recipe.
For the cook who is busy all day but wants a home-cooked dinner at night, a slow cooker is the answer. And with the Set & Forget® Programmable Slow Cooker, technology takes a big leap forward from the outdated slow cookers found in yesterday’s kitchens.