Looking for a delicious side dish to serve for Hanukkah or other holiday meals? Look no further than this slow cooker butternut squash kugel recipe.
Kugel is a traditional Jewish dish. It’s typically a baked casserole or pudding made with egg noodles or potatoes.
The Test Kitchen incorporated butternut squash into this recipe to take full advantage of tasty winter squash flavors.
First, make a simple butternut squash puree with shallots and garlic using our food processor. Stir the squash mixture together with sour cream, cottage cheese, sugar, and salt. Then add egg noodles (a Kugel staple). Pour the mixture to the Hamilton Beach® Casserole Slow Cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 to 2 ½ hours or on LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
This slow cooker gets a workout in our house during the holidays. It’s rectangular and shallow like a standard casserole dish. So it’s ideal for seasonal side dishes like scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, and stuffing . It’s perfect for transporting food to friends or family’s house because the clip-tight sealed lid reduces spills and makes travel easy. And if you’re hosting Hanukkah dinner this year, the casserole slow cooker is great for both cooking in and serving out of on your buffet.
After the kugel is cooked, prepare the topping (for a little added crunch). We mixed butter and crushed cornflakes together to make a “bread crumb” of sorts and sprinkled them on top of the casserole. Then we took the crock out of the base (don’t worry, it’s oven-safe) and baked the kugel at 350 degrees for another 15-20 minutes.
Slow cooker butternut squash kugel is best served alongside a juicy brisket and piles of potato latkes at a table packed with friends and family.
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Kugel
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 bag (12 ounces) ready to use butternut squash
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 container (16 ounces) cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) wide egg noodles, cooked al dente
- 3 cups corn flakes, crushed
- Spray slow cooker casserole crock with non-stick cooking spray.
- Microwave squash following package directions.
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat 3 tablespoons butter. Add shallots and garlic, cooking 1 minute. Add squash, cooking until shallot is wilted. Add squash mixture and milk to a blender or food processor and puree.
- In a large bowl, stir together squash mixture, sour cream, cottage cheese, sugar and salt. Stir in egg noodles. Spoon into prepared crock.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or LOW for 4 to 5 hours.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe medium bowl, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter on MEDIUM power in 30 second increments. Stir in crushed corn flakes.
- Sprinkle corn flakes over noodle mixture. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in oven-safe slow cooker crock or casserole dish until edges are slightly browned.