With spring underway, many moms and dads are rushing to get the kids to extracurricular activities. It’s not always easy to get dinner on the table quickly, but one-pot meals make it doable – especially when you can utilize the slow cooker as your at-home chef. While pot roasts are our most popular slow cooker recipes, we know you need some variety in your pot roast repertoire.
So we decided to stick with the theme and change it up just a touch. This version of a traditional slow cooker pot roast is made special with the addition of savory rosemary and sweet apricots, and we used beef brisket instead of chuck roast. You can use whichever cut you prefer – we’re just happy to change things up a little bit and add a something new to your arsenal.
Rosemary-Apricot Brisket Pot Roast
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 (3 3/4 lb.) trimmed beef brisket
- 1 cup beef broth, divided
- 1 lb. baby carrots
- 1 lb. petite red potatoes, cut in half
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 2/3 cup apricot preserves
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/3 cup flour
- Heat oil in stovetop-safe slow cooker cookware over medium-high heat.
- Rub 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper over both sides of beef. Add brisket to cookware; cook 8 minutes, turning at 4 minutes.
- Remove brisket; set aside. Add 1/2 cup of broth to cookware; stirring until mixture is reduced.
- Place cookware in base; add carrots, potatoes, onion, remaining salt and pepper. Top with brisket.
- Stir preserves, vinegar, garlic, rosemary and remaining broth; pour over brisket.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 4 hours or Low 7 1/2 to 8 hours.
- Remove brisket and vegetables from crock.
- Add flour to medium bowl; whisk in 1 cup liquid from crock. Heat crock over medium-high heat until mixture boils; gradually stir flour mixture into crock until mixture thickens.
- Slice brisket before serving and serve with vegetables and gravy.
The Hamilton Beach 6 Quart Programmable Stovetop Slow Cooker (33567) makes slow cooking browned meats a breeze and reduces cleanup since it can all be done in one pot. Buy now on Amazon.
More slow cooker recipes