Rice Cookers, like slow cookers, are extremely versatile appliances. While rice cookers are great for cooking rice, you can cook a variety of other grains – and even full meals – in rice cookers. Rice Cooker Cajun Shrimp and Grits is a spicy take on a southern classic, and it’s made from start to finish in the rice cooker.
Combine grits, chicken stock, water, and cajun-style andouille sausage in the cooking pot of the rice cooker. Then mix shrimp with cajun seasoning and place them in the rice cooker’s steaming basket. Close the lid, select the HEAT/SIMMER setting and set the timer for 90 minutes.
When the shrimp and grits are cooked, remove the steamer basket and place the shrimp aside. This is when it really gets good. Stir in a stick of butter (this is a southern dish after all), shredded sharp white cheddar cheese, and green onions. Feel free to mix in your favorite type of cheese instead.
This dish is creamy, rich, and cheesy with just the right amount of spice from the shrimp and andouille sausage. Sprinkle green onions on top for a pop of color and serve for lunch or dinner.
Rice Cooker Cajun Shrimp and Grits
- 2 1/4 cups old-fashioned grits (3 rice measuring cups)
- 1 package (32 oz.) chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 pound cajun-style andouille sausage, diced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and deveined shrimp (21-25 count per pound)
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 package (8 oz.) shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- In cooking pot of rice cooker, combine grits, chicken stock, water, sausage, salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix shrimp with cajun seasoning until shrimp are well coated with seasoning. Arrange seasoned shrimp in steamer basket. Place in rice cooker and close lid.
- Select HEAT/SIMMER and set timer for 90 minutes.
- When cycle ends, remove steamer basket and cooked shrimp. Stir butter, cheese and green onions into grits. Let stand until butter and cheese are melted. Stir again.
- Serve grits with shrimp.
Prepare restaurant-quality rice without waiting for water to boil or watching over a pot. The Digital Simplicity™ Rice Cooker and Food Steamer cooks perfect rice every time, but it does much more than that.