Couscous, a light and fluffy rice-like dish made from semolina flour, is an incredibly popular food. In fact, it is served all over the world, from Morocco to Tuscany to Brazil to France, as a base for stews, meats and sauces. Here, we’ve kept to the basics and paired it with diced tomatoes, simple herbs and feta. Couscous pairs beautifully with so many flavors–experiment with whatever you have in your pantry and fridge.
We chose to serve our couscous as a side dish at a potluck party. We brought it in our sturdy cast iron Party Crock. It was easy to set up the decorative serving base with a tea candle to keep the couscous warm while everyone was making their plates. A few bowls on the side allowed everyone to serve themselves.
We suggest serving this with Lemon Chicken breasts cut into bit sized pieces, perfect for single servings and a great flavor combination with the couscous.
Party Crock (Slow Cooker) Couscous with Feta and Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cans (14 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- In cast iron party crock over medium on stovetop, heat the oil. Add garlic and onion. Cook until onion is tender, about 4 minutes.
- Stir tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and sugar into the onion mixture. Cover and cook until heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Add couscous and feta to crock, stir until well blended. Cover and continue to cook 10 minutes.
- Stir in fresh basil. Serve with additional feta, if desired. Place over tea-light stand for serving.
The Hamilton Beach Party Crock™ Slow Cooker (33411) offers exceptional cooking performance, durability, and heat retention in stovetop-safe, enameled cast iron cookware. The 3-piece set includes a 1.5-quart crock and cover, electric cooking base with 3 settings, and cordless tea candle warming stand for decorative serving.
More to try