If you’re going to Thanksgiving dinner at a friend or relative’s house, you’ve probably asked how you can help and been told to bring a dessert. Pumpkin pie is already on the menu, so what else can you bring? Try this tempting Harvest Apple Cake – perfect for the holidays with in-season apples and a rich caramel glaze.
It will make an equally delicious breakfast cake to serve the day after Thanksgiving, when out-of-town guests are waking up and the kitchen is still a mess. Just bake the cake in advance and add the glaze before serving. This is a welcome treat for your hostess, since they probably don’t want to make breakfast the morning after a huge feast.
Harvest Apple Cake
For the cake
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups finely chopped, peeled apple
- 1 cup chopped pecans
For the Caramel Glaze
- 20 square caramel candies
- 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 Tablespoons apple juice
- Preheat roaster oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 10 to 12 cup bundt or tube pan; set aside.
- In large mixer bowl, beat eggs, oil and vanilla extract.
- Add flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat until smooth. Batter will be thick.
- Stir in pecans and apples. Pour into prepared pan.
- Place in roaster oven on insert rack.
- Bake 60 – 70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes then invert on rack to cool.
- For glaze, microwave caramels and apple juice in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1-1/2 min. or until caramels are completely melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in confectioners’ sugar. Drizzle over cooled cake.
Once apples are peeled or cut and exposed to air, they begin to brown. Peel and chop the apples just before adding to the batter. Once peeled and cored, a medium apple will yield approximately 1 cup of chopped apple.