If you are looking to close out the year with a special meal, herb-crusted rib roast with mustard cream sauce fits the bill. Splurge on a rib roast and impress the entire table with this beautiful, roasted dish.
While rib roast is delicious seasoned simply with just a little bit of salt and pepper, we wanted to dress it up a bit, for holiday’s sake. The Test Kitchen made a herb crust in the Hamilton Beach® Professional 14-Cup Dicing Food Processor. We pulsed bread, parsley, rosemary, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper together to make the crust.
First rub the roast with salt, pepper, and dijon mustard then cover it evenly with the bread crumb mixture. Roast the meat at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees and roast until the meat reaches the desired internal temperature (for perfect medium-rare steak, we recommend cooking your steak at 125 degrees for about 2 hours).
While the meat rests, make the mustard cream sauce then slice and serve with roasted seasonal vegetables or mashed potatoes (horseradish mashed potatoes would be excellent).
The crust and dijon mustard add both color and flavor to the outside of the roast. The meat is juicy enough to stand on it’s own – you’ll understand the true meaning of melt in your mouth after trying it – but the mustard cream sauce complements it beautifully without overshadowing the star of the show.
Whether you are sitting down with friends and family on Christmas Eve or ringing in the New Year with your one and only, this rib roast in the perfect meal for ending 2016 on a high note and toasting to 2017. Pour the wine, champagne, or all of the above and enjoy. Cheers.
Herb-Crusted Rib Roast with Mustard Cream Sauce
- 4 ounces (3-4 slices) country white bread or rolls
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (6-7 pound) beef standing rib roast
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
MUSTARD CREAM SAUCE
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with mixing/chopping blade, add all ingredients for the herb crust. Pulse until bread is in fine crumbs, and herbs and garlic are very finely chopped.
- Place the meat, bone side down, in a baking pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and rub all over with Dijon mustard. Cover roast evenly with breadcrumbs mixture.
- Place pan in the oven and roast meat for 20 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 300°F. Roast until meat reaches an internal temperature of 125°F for medium rare, about 2 hours total. Allow roast to rest while making mustard cream sauce. Do not cover the meat while it rests.
- In a small saucepan, heat white wine, shallot and salt over medium heat until simmering. Cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in cream and mustard. Simmer until mixture has thickened to a sauce consistency, 6-7 minutes.
- Slice roast and serve with mustard cream sauce.
Introducing commercial quality performance to your kitchen countertop with the Hamilton Beach® Professional 14 Cup Dicing Food Processor. Designed for the accomplished home cook, this food processor includes everything you need to quickly dice, slice, shred, knead, chop, mix and puree to your exact specifications.