Leftover ham from a holiday feast can lay the groundwork for an amazing soup sure to get rave reviews from the whole family. Lose the beans and instead bring on the potatoes. This hearty soup fuses the flavor of loaded potatoes with ham for a deliciously satisfying meal.
A combination of both baking and sweet potatoes not only adds to the flavor but also the texture. The potatoes are complimented by the hint of melted cheddar cheese blended into the broth and the fresh chives used to accent the dish.
The base is hearty and slightly thick to offer a true potato soup consistency, but it is also filled with large pieces of ham and potato for those who enjoy chunkier soups. This soup is easily made in the slow cooker, giving you an opportunity to kick up your feet, relax and find a little peace during the busy holiday season.
Slow Cooker Loaded Potato and Ham Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ham, coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 package (0.75 oz.) fresh chives, chopped, divided
- In a large skillet over medium-high, melt butter. Add onions and garlic stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. Add ham to skillet, cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add mixture to crock. Stir in potatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 5 hours or LOW 9 to 10 hours or until potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork.
- Stir in cheese and half of the chives until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining chives before serving.
Stay or Go® Slow Cookers offer you all the advantages of easy, no-watch cooking with the added benefit of worry-free travel. They’re equipped to protect food en route to parties and potlucks anytime you want. Once you’re back home, the stoneware insert removes for easy cleanup in the dishwasher.