We love sharing grill recipes, and many of our favorites are just a step outside the box. This is true of our grilled flatbread pizza, a uniquely prepared version of a classic favorite. We love grilling the dough because it makes a beautiful presentation and offers a crisp crust that is still soft and chewy on the inside. We topped ours with just the basics to create a simple Margherita pizza bursting with great Italian flavor. Use fresh basil and mozzarella. Since there are only a few ingredients, make sure they are high quality. And don’t forget the salt at the end. Everyone agreed it “made” the pizza!
Grilled Margherita Pizza
- 1 recipe Pizza Crust for Breadmaker
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 24 large fresh basil leaves
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Sea salt
- Prepare pizza crust dough. Divide into 4 pieces.
- Preheat indoor grill to SEAR/450°F.
- Combine olive oil, garlic and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
- Dust cutting board with cornmeal. Roll each piece of dough into 8-inch circles.
- Place one circle of dough on grill at a time. Grill 4 minutes. Use a pizza peel to remove from grill and invert dough onto cutting board.
- Lightly brush olive oil mixture on grilled side of crust. Sprinkle with a 1/2 Tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Arrange 5 to 6 tomato slices on crust. Top with 4 to 6 basil leaves and 4 slices mozzarella cheese.
- Slide pizza back on grill. Grill 7 to 8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from grill and sprinkle with sea salt to taste and additional chopped basil.
- Repeat with remaining pizza dough and toppings.
If using an outdoor grill, grilling times may be much quicker. Check first side of dough at 2 minutes. Dough should be starting to bubble with grill marks on bottom.
Whatever your taste preferences or dietary needs, you can satisfy them with Hamilton Beach® Breadmakers. Developed with nutrition in mind, they feature settings such as gluten-free and whole-grain so you can bake wholesome breads using a variety of flours.
The high temperature of the Searing Grill makes it possible to get outdoor flavor indoors. Plus, the hood, grill plate and tray are removable and dishwasher-safe, making cleanup a breeze.