Excite your family this week by making sweet and sour chicken – a hearty Chinese takeout-inspired dinner packed with tender vegetables – in your slow cooker. And don’t forget to cook up a few cups of sticky white rice in the rice cooker to soak up the tangy pineapple sauce.
Meals like this slow cooker sweet and sour chicken are great for evenings when your family is busy. Instead of trying to put something together after the kids’ many activities, just put everything in the slow cooker and rice cooker before you leave. You won’t resort to fast food on the way back because a delicious, well-balanced meal is waiting for you at home.
Easy Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks in juice
- Cooked rice
- Sesame seeds
- In slow cooker crock, combine brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch, garlic and ginger. Stir until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Add chicken, onion, peppers, pineapple and juice. Stir to coat chicken with sauce.
- Cover, and cook on LOW for 3 hours or on HIGH for 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with sesame seeds.
For “one-pot” simplicity, nothing beats slow cooking. But when it comes to bringing hot meals to parties and potlucks, spills can be a concern. With the travel-friendly Set & Forget® Slow Cooker, messes aren’t an issue.
More recipes to try: