Change up your Thanksgiving side dish routine and add some cabbage to the rotation. Cabbage is economical, readily available at the grocery store, and has a long shelf-life in the refrigerator. I know you probably don’t think about cabbage much; it’s definitely not the first thing that comes to mind, especially for a holiday. But this recipe is here to change all that. Trust us.
Even if you swear you don’t like cabbage, you probably will after the first bite of this dish. It’s been cooked in cream, giving it a rich, buttery flavor, and it’s topped with bacon to add smoky crunch.
Best of all, this dish is simple to prepare. We know you’ll be working extra hard on Thanksgiving Day, so it’s nice to have an easy recipe you can throw together. Use a food processor to quickly slice the cabbage. (You can do this a day ahead.) Blanch the cabbage for a few minutes in boiling water, simmer it in cream and then top it with bacon. This savory side dish will be sure to impress even the most stubborn veggie skeptic at the table (it does have bacon after all).
Creamed Cabbage with Bacon
- 1 small head cabbage
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Using a food processor with slicing blade, slice cabbage and set aside.
- Add water and 2 teaspoons salt to a 4 quart saucepan. Place over high heat and bring to boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove bacon and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Crumble bacon when cool. Add onion to bacon drippings in skillet. Cook until soft. Drain, but keep some bacon grease in the skillet with the onions. Set aside.
- Add sliced cabbage to boiling water and blanch for 3 minutes; drain.
- In skillet with onions over medium heat, add cabbage, cream, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, pepper and half of the crumbled bacon. Stir 1 to 2 minutes until heated through.
- Top with remaining bacon.
Whether you are cooking for two or prepping a large family meal, the Hamilton Beach® Stack & Snap™ 12 Cup Food Processor takes the guesswork out of food processing with a simple function guide that shows you which blade to use and which button to press. Designed to be uniquely simple – there’s no twisting, turning or locking required when assembling the food processor.