If you want to do something memorable for your sweetheart this Valentine’s Day, but want to avoid the crowds and overpriced menus, consider making a romantic dinner for two at home with a special chocolate dessert. Fondue is a fun, whimsical dessert that is perfect for an intimate dinner because it can be prepared in advance and kept warm while you eat.
If you don’t have a fancy fondue set, you can still enjoy this decadent dessert using a small slow cooker. Dip your fruit or pound cake right into the slow cooker or scoop the chocolate mixture into a bowl and surround it with assorted dippers like strawberries, pineapple, banana, angel food or pound cake, pretzels, marshmallows or cookies. Don’t forget to share! Fondue is the perfect dessert for trading sweet bites with your Valentine.
Slow Cooker Chocolate Fondue
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate, broken into pieces
- 6 ounces white chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk,
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup coffee or almond flavored liqueur
- Stir chocolates, sweetened condensed milk, milk and liqueur in slow cooker crock until well blended.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 45 minutes. Use whisk to stir very well.
- Reduce slow cooker temperature to LOW. Serve immediately or keep warm as desired.
Suggested foods for dipping: Strawberries, pineapple chunks, banana chunks, angel food or pound cake cubes, pretzels, marshmallows and coconut macaroon or other cookies.
We recommend using a 3- to 4-quart slow cooker.
If fondue begins to thicken while serving, whisk in an additional 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk.
Refrigerate leftovers and use as chocolate sauce.