Erin Clarke of The Law Student’s Wife is on a mission to cook tasty, healthy and budget friendly meals—all while her husband is in the library. She shares approachable recipes for lightened-up comfort foods and believes family dinner can be special without being complicated. She can be found on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Google+.
Fizzy Jalapeño Peach Margaritas are my way of holding onto summer – kicking and screaming. June and July are past, I can hear the faint sound of a football buzzer ringing in the future, and pumpkin is making its first appearance on Pinterest. HOLD IT—we still have lazy summer days to live and Fizzy Jalapeño Peach Margaritas to sip.
Margaritas are my favorite cocktail. Every summer I create new twists on the classic version to share with friends, which, I assume, is why I continue to be invited to dinner parties. Of all the recipes I tested this year, Fizzy Jalapeño Peach Margaritas were the clear winner. I plan to spend the rest of my summer enjoying them as often as socially acceptable.
If you’ve never tried a spicy margarita, you are in for a treat. The jalapeño adds a kick at the end that blends beautifully with the juicy peach sweetness. It also gives the margaritas a rather addictive quality that my friends and I struggled to explain, despite pouring extra rounds to conduct further “research.”
The margaritas are flavored with jalapeño peach simple syrup. Simple syrup earned its name because it couldn’t be simpler—place the jalapeños, sugar and water in a saucepan, let cook until the sugar dissolves, then pour the hot spicy liquid over the sliced peaches.
Let the syrup cool, strain, and you are ready to mix. Look at you, bartender! Well done. Now we assemble. To mimic the spicy sweetness of the margarita, line the rims of the glasses with a mix of sugar and salt. From there, add the ice, jalapeño peach syrup, booze, and one final flair: bubbles!
Ever since I tried the Hamilton Beach SodaStation Hand-Held Soda Maker, I’ve become hooked on the bubbly. It carbonates water in about 15 seconds, doesn’t need to be plugged in and is incredibly easy to operate. I love the fact that I don’t need to keep club soda on hand for making cocktails, especially since I never seem to remember to buy it. Plus, I feel fancy. A pour of SodaStation carbonated water over the top of our jalapeño peach margaritas adds fizz, fun and balance to the drink.
Whether you make Fizzy Jalapeño Peach Margaritas for a quiet evening on your porch or bring a big pitcher to a backyard barbeque, don’t let summer slip away without trying this fresh, fizzy take on a classic cocktail. And if you are able to discern what makes Fizzy Jalapeño Peach Margaritas so addictive, please let me know—though I recommend you test your theory on a second batch, just to be safe.
Fizzy Peach Jalapeño Margaritas
- 1 cup pitted and chopped ripe peaches (about 2 small peaches)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 jalapeño, sliced into rounds, seeds and pulp included
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces silver tequila
- 1 ounce orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier, Triple Sec, or Cointreau
- Carbonated water (directions follow)
- Granulated sugar and coarse salt for the rim (optional)
- Additional lime slices, jalapeño slices, and peach slices to garnish (optional)
- Place the peaches in a medium bowl and mash with a fork. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, sugar, and jalapeño slices. Bring to a gentle boil and stir until the sugar dissolves. Pour the hot syrup and jalapeño slices immediately over the peaches. Let cool to room temperature, then strain to remove the solids. Transfer to an airtight container and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Salt the glass rims (optional): If desired, run a lime slice around the top rim of two glasses to moisten. Place a small amount of equal parts sugar and salt on a shallow plate. Turn the glass over, then gently press the wet glass rim around in the sugar and salt until it sticks. Repeat with the second glass.
- Fill the SodaStation with cold water to the minimum fill line, then carbonate as directed.
- Fill glasses with ice, then top with 2 ounces peach jalapeño simple syrup, 1 Tablespoon lime juice, 1 ounce tequila, and 1/2 ounce orange liqueur.
- Top each glass with a splash of carbonated water to reach desired strength. Garnish with lime wedges, jalapeño slices, and peach slices as desired. Enjoy immediately.
The new Hamilton Beach SodaStation™ Hand-Held Carbonated Soda Maker is the best way to make fresh soda and sparkling drinks. You can make an endless variety of carbonated beverages at home and then slip the compact soda maker into any drawer. You don’t need electricity and you don’t need to waste valuable counter space. Keep it in the kitchen, bar, camper, desk drawer or anywhere you want to enjoy soft drinks or sparkling water.