For the ultimate in breakfast comfort foods, look no further than this Cajun sausage and grits casserole. Creamy grits, gooey cheese, spiced sausage, roasted peppers and eggs come together to make an indulgent brunch dish that will have everyone begging for the recipe. Make it for the family on the weekend or bring it to a potluck. This savory dish does well for a crowd and works just as well at lunch and dinner as it does at breakfast.
Cajun Sausage and Grits Casserole
- 1 block (8 oz.) Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick cooking grits
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red bell pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Remove 1 rack and position the other on the fourth slot in the Countertop Oven with Rotisserie. Place the knob on STAY ON and preheat on BAKE to 350⁰. Spray a 7 x 11-inch rectangle baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Shred cheese using the shredding disc of a food processor and set aside.
- In a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, bring milk, water, 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Whisk in grits, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until thickened and tender, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese. Let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage 6 to 7 minutes. Reserve 1/2 teaspoon drippings and remove sausage. Drain well on paper towels.
- In same skillet over medium-high heat, cook onion in reserved drippings 6 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Whisk eggs into grits and mix until smooth. Fold in sausage, onion, garlic, and red bell pepper. Pour into prepared dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.