The mid-Atlantic coast is a region filled with fishing boats, oyster roasts, rolling tides, bald eagles and lighthouses – the whole picturesque nine yards. I was lucky enough to grow up on the Potomac River, which is inside the Chesapeake Bay watershed. This means crab feasts and crabcakes were normal, everyday events for my family. I even went crabbing with crab pots and little fish as bait. It was just part of life for those of us who grew up on the coasts of Virginia, Maryland or Delaware.
As I thought about creating a crabcake recipe to share with you, I knew I wanted to make Maryland-style crabcakes. Other crabcakes contain a lot of filler ingredients to help the patty stick together, but here in the mid-Atlantic, we prefer the opposite. The crab meat takes center stage (as it should!) and everything else in the cake is just a compliment. A little mayo, mustard and herbs and spices for flavor, an egg and a touch of flour for binding. The cakes are then broiled for a quick and easy meal fit for a king.
The Creamy Herb Sauce on the side is equally delicious, so make sure to save any extra for later. It makes a great salad dressing, veggie dip or sauce for seafood, chicken or beef.
Broiled Maryland Crabcakes with Creamy Herb Sauce
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon brown mustard
- 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Creamy Herb Sauce (recipe follows)
- Beat egg, mayonnaise, mustard, flour, seafood seasoning, salt and pepper until well blended.
- Stir in crabmeat, parsley, shallots and garlic until crab is coated with mayonnaise mixture.
- Preheat toaster oven on broil.
- Place 1/4 cup crab mixture on broiler pan; lightly press down. Repeat with remaining mixture. (these crabcakes are delicate and don’t have much filler)
- Broil crabcakes 8 minutes, turning once.
- Serve with Creamy Herb Sauce.
The Easy Reach™ 4-Slice Toaster Oven can help you in countless ways around the kitchen while saving space and time. The removable Easy Reach™ roll-top door offers better access to food and easy cleaning, while the front-access crumb tray slides out for quick cleanup. Toast, bake or broil, and you’ll be thrilled with the results.
Don’t let its space-saving design fool you. The versatile blending container functions as a mixing jar one minute and doubles as a portable travel mug with attachable drinking lid the next. For a lightweight, easy-to-use, inexpensive personal blender, the Hamilton Beach® Single-Serve Blender is well worth the investment. Just imagine all the recipe possibilities, extra storage room and money you’re saving.