Coconut shrimp is one of my favorite appetizers to order at restaurants. They come to the table piping hot, audibly crunchy and… full of calories. They always come with a slightly sweet and fruity dipping sauce that makes you feel like you’re enjoying food from the islands.
But when I eat this delicious app, I always feel I gain a pound or two with each piece. Luckily, there’s a way to recreate a healthier (and cheaper!) version of coconut shrimp at home – and it’s not hard to do.
Large peeled shrimp gets dunked in egg white and coated with a mixture of panko crumbs and shredded coconut, then baked for about ten minutes. In the time it takes to load the dishwasher, you can make this recipe. It doesn’t get any better than that.
The baking process can be done in a countertop oven, so you’re skipping the deep fryer and opt for a quicker, healthier method. The lightened-up version creates shrimp that are perfectly cooked and tender with a crust that is crisp and not overly sweet. You don’t need a ton of coating so you can really allow the natural flavor of the shrimp to stand out.
You won’t miss the frying process in these coconut shrimp, and you’ll be amazed at how good a dish this quick and easy can taste. This recipe is going in my regular rotation box for future dinners and potlucks. The only thing I might change is the quantity.
Baked Coconut Shrimp with Curried Chutney Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup chutney
- 2 Tablespoons sliced green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground curry
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 egg white
- 1 pound (16 to 20 count) extra jumbo shrimp
- Stir chutney, green onion, curry and crushed red pepper in small bowl until blended. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Spray a baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine flour and salt in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Add panko crumbs and coconut to bag. Seal and shake to combine.
- Beat egg white in a medium bowl until foamy.
- Dip one shrimp at a time into egg white.
- Place shrimp in crumb mixture and press mixture onto shrimp until well coated. Arrange in single layer in prepared baking pan.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes until crumbs are golden brown. Serve with chutney mixture. Garnish with cilantro.
The Easy Reach™ 4-Slice Toaster Oven can help you in countless ways around the kitchen while saving space and time. The removable Easy Reach™ roll-top door offers better access to food and easy cleaning, while the front-access crumb tray slides out for quick cleanup. Toast, bake or broil, and you’ll be thrilled with the results.