Apple season is in full swing as people head to orchards for apple picking and markets are overcome with local varieties. Load up on these red and green fruits so you can make baked apples, apple-pumpkin butter, caramel-dipped apples, harvest apple cake and these deliciously simple fritters.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar for dusting
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture until smooth. Fold in apples.
- Heat oil to 375°F. Using a small scoop (about 2 Tablespoons), carefully drop about 6 fritters at a time into the preheated oil. Cook 3 to 4 minutes. Turn for even browning on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels and dust with confectioners sugar. Serve warm.
These apple fritters are light, fluffy and delicious. We make them in a deep fryer to ensure a crispy, even coating and a soft interior. Serve these as an appetizer or a delicious, seasonal dessert.